We act in strict compliance with the privacy legislation applicable to us, including the Civil Code of Québec and the Act respecting the protection of personal information in the private sector (CQLR c P-39.1). If the User has not already done so, we ask him or her to read this Policy before using our Website or providing us with personal information in any way. If the User does not accept the terms of this Policy, he or she is asked to stop using our Website and not to provide us with any personal information. We also recommend that the User review this Policy from time to time as it may be changed or updated from time to time at our sole discretion.
The use of the “we” below and in the Policy refers collectively to BMR Group Inc. and any of BMR’s subsidiaries or affiliates.
This Policy does not apply to
- Transactions and/or other activities or interactions with third parties or their affiliated websites that are linked or accessible through our Website;
- BMR Group stores operated by independent merchants (including any activities or communications of its merchants).
BMR has a privacy officer who is responsible for overseeing BMR’s compliance with this Policy.
We collect the following information:
- Personal information that the User provides to us on a voluntary basis that can be used to identify you, including your name, address, postal code, telephone number, and email address;
- Information that the User’s browser regularly shares with websites (such as IP address, language, username, data relating to preferences and usage of the Website);
- Personal information required for the purpose of selling the User a product, service, or other merchandise offered through the Website (such as financial data and bank details);
- Personal information required for opening and managing a customer account and for sending the newsletter (such as names, email addresses, and telephone numbers);
- Transactional information obtained as a result of your purchase of products or services, or the products in your shopping cart.
Collectively: “Personal Information”
The website uses the following tracking technologies:
- Cookies, web beacons, and similar technologies that track movement through the Website keep track of Users and visitors to our Website and their preferences;
- Data about your activities during your visits to our Website may be collected for use in delivering advertisements tailored to your individual interests, and we may share information about your activities, such as ID, IP address, or click-throughs with ad networks managed by third parties. These networks may use your data to serve you targeted advertisements.
- We may use third-party providers, such as Google Analytics, to analyze our Website services. In this regard, Google Analytics allows us to do remarketing, get impression reports, and get reports on demographics and interests. Google Analytics may also collect data for advertising purposes, including the collection of data via advertising cookies and identifiers. You can always opt out of Google Analytics advertising features, including through Ads Settings, Ad Settings for mobile apps, or any other available means, by visiting the following page.
Other details about our practices:
This Policy supplements the Website Terms and Conditions of Use, and the latter applies only to our Website www.bmr.ca and to the information collected through this site and does not apply to any other information or website not owned or operated by us.
Why We Collect Personal Information
We only collect Personal Information that is necessary for our relationship with the User. We limit the type of information that we collect and use to only Personal Information required for purposes of managing our relationship with the User, responding to the User’s questions, providing the User with products and services, ensuring good customer service, and otherwise operating the Website and providing the services offered on the Website. In particular, we may collect Personal Information:
- When the User requests certain information about our products and services offered through the Website;
- When the User purchases one or more products through the Website;
- When the User subscribes to our newsletters, via express consent, in accordance with Bill C-28;
- When identification data is required to respond to a request made by the User;
- When the User makes a purchase, or requests a refund or exchange;
- If a credit or debit card is used in your purchase, we will collect the user’s credit or debit card information, including the CVV number for an online purchase, if required;
- When a User returns merchandise or requests a refund or exchange, we will request the User’s name, telephone number, mailing address, and email address;
- When the User subscribes to the newsletter in order to receive promotions;
If the functionality becomes available on our website:
- when the User makes a purchase or submit a request for reimbursement or an exchange of product;
- when the credit card or the debit card is used to buy something, we collect the User’s card details, including the CVV number for online purchases, as well as the signature of the User or the person authorized by the User, if needed;
- when items are returned or exchanged, when reimbursement is claimed, or when the User’s name, phone number, street address or email address is requested;
- when the User subscribes to the newsletter to receive promotions.
When Using the Website
In order to ensure adequate and quality service, as well as for purposes of improving the customer experience, we may collect identifying information, such as a User’s name, password, mailing address, telephone number, and email address, when the User logs in to the user account.
When the User calls or emails customer service regarding the use of the Website or another matter, we may ask the User for identifying information (name and a telephone number where he or she can be reached) in order to ensure quality service.
How We Collect Personal Information
We collect the User’s personal information in person or on our Website, over the telephone, by email, or in any other way, generally for the purpose of ensuring the efficient operation of the Website and its features.
When the User visits our Website, we may record information that the User’s web browser regularly shares with websites. This information may include the User’s browser type, browser language, IP address, and the date and time of the User’s visit.
When the User visits our Website, we may give him or her the opportunity to sign up to receive our newsletter or other advertising material, or to have the User’s information shared with our divisions or partners. We may also ask the User for Personal Information in connection with certain customizable tools and features, surveys, or contests that we may conduct from time to time. It will always be the User’s choice whether or not to participate in these contests or surveys, and whether or not to provide Personal Information in order to benefit from these features. If the User chooses to receive our newsletter or other advertising material, he or she may later choose to stop receiving them by checking the unsubscribe link included in each newsletter email that we send or by contacting us.
If the User communicates or interacts with us via social media (e.g., Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, LinkedIn, or YouTube), the User is advised that any Personal Information that he or she publicly submits through shares of our content, posts, or comments mentioning bmr.ca or content that we post on social media may be read, collected, or otherwise used by anyone who accesses that forum or visits the URL of the web page on which the User’s content, post, or comment is posted. We are not responsible for any use of this information by any third party, and we refer the User to the applicable confidentiality rules for each of these social media platforms.
If the User does not wish to accept cookies, the “help” section of the User’s browser toolbar will help him or her learn how to prevent the browser from accepting cookies, how to be alerted by the browser when a new cookie is received, or how to completely disable cookies. However, if the User disables cookies, the User may not be able to benefit from all the features of our Website.
What We Are Doing With the Personal Information That We Collect
In general, we may use the User’s personal information for the following purposes:
- To identify customers, potential customers, suppliers, in order to establish and maintain relationships with them;
- To respond to the User’s requests for information about our products and services;
- For purposes of marketing, market analysis, contests, and surveys, to the extent required by law and to improve our service offering;
- To provide the services offered as requested by customers, potential customers, and suppliers, including to process orders, ensure proper delivery, and better assist customers when they visit us in store or call us;
- To monitor the quality of customer service and prevent errors and cases of fraud;
- To facilitate communication with our customers and the dissemination of various requests, or to manage transactions;
- To comply with and enforce the applicable legal requirements, industry standards, and the various policies of our affiliates.
In order to operate our Website and for purposes of hosting and retaining the Personal Information collected, we may need to share information with our divisions or business partners. We, as well as the third parties who provide services to us, will use the Personal Information we collect solely for the purposes identified above and will keep equivalent security measures in place. For example, we may use subcontractors to help process the User’s order or delivery, to provide the User with services, and to help us collect, analyze, and evaluate our information or to provide other support services for the Website and its use. Often, the information we share will be aggregate data that is anonymous by nature. If we provide Personal Information, it will be done on terms that prohibit our business partners from making any independent commercial use of that information and from sharing that data with third parties or otherwise making it public.
The Website may eventually contain tools that will be useful to the User. To use these tools, the User may have to provide information about him or herself. The Website will use the User’s information to provide him or her with the service that the tool offers, e.g., to assist him or her in ordering and having products and services delivered. Except as otherwise indicated in this notice, we will not use Personal Information collected by these tools for any other reason without the User’s prior explicit permission.
We may choose to disclose personal information without notice in response to requests from the authorities or at the request of a governmental agency; to respond to subpoenas, court orders, or administrative requests for information; to enforce our contract or property rights; to protect ourselves or others; or when required or otherwise permitted by law. For example, we may share information to reduce the risk of fraud or when someone is using or attempting to use our Website for illegal reasons.
We may also disclose Personal Information in the event of a sale or transfer of BMR’s assets to another company. BMR may also disclose certain Personal Information to independent BMR merchants for order fulfilment or product management purposes, as the case may be.
Username and Password
For the User to access his or her account, the User must create and use his or her username (or email address) and password for any subsequent usage session. The User must use them only for lawful purposes. The User is fully responsible for them and for the consequences of any use made of them by the User or by anyone else, including the consequences of any illegal operation committed through his or her username and password. The User is required to take all necessary precautions to keep them confidential for security reasons. More specifically, the User must not disclose them to anyone or allow anyone else to use them, except one of our authorized representatives. It is strongly recommended to choose a password that only the User knows and the components of which cannot be easily traced back to the User. It is also recommended that User change his or her password regularly and log off at the end of the session.
If the User becomes aware of any unauthorized use of his or her username or password, or if the User fears that another person has become aware of them, or if User believes that they have been lost or stolen, the User must notify us immediately.
All usernames and passwords are ultimately administered by BMR through the Website support team, which reserves the right, at any time and at its sole discretion, to suspend or cancel them without prior notice.
By providing us with his or her Personal Information, the User consents to our collection, use, and disclosure of such information for the purposes described in this Policy. By using our Website, the User consents to our collection, use, and disclosure of certain anonymous information combined with his or her IP address in accordance with this Policy. If we choose to use Personal Information already in our custody for purposes not identified at the time we initially collected the information, we will seek the consent of the affected Users before using the information for that new purpose, unless obtaining such consent is not required by law under those specific circumstances.
Except for personal information required by law to be retained, Users may withdraw their consent to all or part of the collection, use, and disclosure of their personal information at any time by giving us reasonable prior notice. The User’s choice to withdraw his or her consent may affect BMR’s ability to provide products or services in connection with our Website. If the User prefers that we not collect, use, or disclose his or her personal information or that we not use his or her personal information to contact him or her to promote our products and services, the User is asked to contact us. We will carry out the User’s instructions as soon as possible, subject to contractual or legal restrictions, but we may not be able to immediately cease certain uses of the User’s information. The User is advised that withdrawal of consent may prevent us from providing him or her with certain services.
How We Protect Personal Information
BMR retains Personal Information for as long as necessary to process affiliate transactions, financial and other audits, and to improve the processing of records. BMR also retains Personal Information for as long as required by applicable law. We use commercially reasonable means to protect the integrity of our website and the confidentiality of the information collected by any means. We also limit access to the Personal Information we collect about our visitors and Users to those individuals for whom such information is required in order to fulfil the purposes described above. However, despite the security measures taken by BMR to keep Personal Information secure, there is a risk that Personal Information could be stolen without BMR’s consent as part of an illegal cyber-attack by a third party.
We maintain a policy against any unauthorized disclosure or use of Personal Information, and we train our employees on this policy. Employees who violate this policy are subject to discipline.
The User’s personal information may be hosted and/or stored by our suppliers or Partners located outside Quebec or Canada (e.g., the United States). In this case, we, our suppliers, and our Partners will comply with this policy at all times and keep equivalent security measures in place that comply with the applicable legal requirements.
The User’s personal information could be hosted and/or retained by our suppliers or partners located outside the Province of Québec or outside Canada (e.g.: United States). In this case, our suppliers, our partners and we will observe this Policy at all times and will maintain equivalent safety measures that comply with the applicable legal requirements.
We will keep only the User’s personal information for a reasonable period of time and only for the intended purposes.
Links to Other Websites
Our business and the laws that govern us change from time to time, and we reserve the right to change this Policy. If we change this Policy, we will post the revised version on this site.
SGC's privacy rules
Any questions concerning SGC's privacy rules may be directed via: [email protected]
If the User has any questions or complaints about our Personal Information practices, questions about the practices of third-party service providers, or if the User wishes to have his or her information removed from our database, if the User wishes to withdraw his or her consent to the collection, use, and disclosure of his or her Personal Information, or if the User wishes to access or correct his or her Personal Information, or if the User wishes to be removed from any future communication list, the User is asked to inform us by contacting the customer service of BMR Group Inc. by email at [email protected] or by telephone at 1-800-361-0885.
BMR Group Inc.
BMR Group Inc.
1501, rue Ampère, suite 200
Boucherville (Québec) J4B 5Z5